Topic filters allow you to receive only the news that you want to see for your companies.
There are two main reasons to apply topic filters:
- Your companies are frequently in the news and many of the articles are not of interest to you;
- You are only interested in specific topics with each of your Watchlists.
By default, the three watchlists you start with and any new watchlists will have three top-level topics applied: Financials, Hot Topics and Other Topics. These are broad categories which are intended to pick up a wide range of news, while filtering out articles which are of low business relevance.
To apply topic filters:
- Click on one of your watchlists and go to their News tab.
- At the top of the newsfeed, click on the "Watchlist Filters" section, then click the "Edit Filters" button.
- This will open a pop-up box containing all of the topic filters available. Tick the boxes next to the topics you are interested in. You can also click on the arrow next to each topic to drill down to more specific subtopics.
The topic filters that you have in each watchlist will affect all the companies within that watchlist. If you wanted really specific filters for one particular company, move that company to its own watchlist and apply the filters there. This will allow you to receive filtered news for that company while ensuring that you do not miss relevant news for the rest.
If you find you’re receiving too many alerts each day, you may wish to tighten your filters to concentrate on what matters most to you. The opposite applies if you’re not getting enough alerts – simply loosen the topic filters or remove them altogether. This is often the best idea for companies that are small and don’t regularly appear in the news.
While viewing a company or watchlist's newsfeed, clicking on the "Topic Cloud" section will bring up a list of topics which the articles in that newsfeed have matched. The larger, bolder text on certain topics indicates that this topic has been matched more frequently than others.
To view a tutorial video on topic filters, follow this link and click Begin Training Module.